Santa Monica Press is excited to announce the launch of Santa Monica Press/Teen. We are actively looking for Young Adult Fiction proposals in the Historical Fiction category only, with an emphasis on 20th-century historical fiction. We are also seeking Young Adult Narrative Non-Fiction proposals, and we are open to both contemporary as well as historical narratives. We are specifically seeking captivating and unusual stories, featuring a unique and compelling author’s voice.
We are not accepting book proposals, queries, or submissions at this time. Please check back for news on when we will be re-opening our submission process. We will not be responding to any proposals, queries, or submissions until we re-open our submission process. We thank you for your understanding and wish you the best of luck with your book.
Biography & Memoir
Film, Theater, & TV
Reference & Social Sciences
Young Adult Fiction (Historical Fiction only)
Young Adult Narrative Non-Fiction (Both Contemporary and Historical Narrative Non-Fiction)
NOTE: WE DO NOT ACCEPT PREVIOUSLY PUBLISHED MANUSCRIPTS
- A cover letter, including: a brief summary of the book, the approximate length (word count, not pages) of your manuscript, and what category from the list above you believe your book fits. If it does not fit into any of the above categories, it is extremely unlikely that we will be interested in publishing your book. Thank you for treating this request seriously.
- A table of contents or outline of the book’s contents. For YA Fiction and Narrative Non-Fiction, please include a brief chapter-by-chapter synopsis.
- Two sample chapters
- Any photographs or illustrations you believe might assist us in evaluating your proposal (do not send originals!)
- A brief list of similar or competitive books, including title, author, publisher, ISBN number, and date of publication—all readily available on Amazon.com and other on-line booksellers. Tell us what makes your book unique. How does it differ from your competition? Please do not treat this request lightly; this is extremely important information!
- Marketing and publicity plans or ideas
- A description of your book’s target audience
- A brief autobiographical summary or résumé. What do you, as the author, bring to the project?
- Your mailing address, daytime phone number, and e-mail address
We only accept proposals via email; any proposals sent via snail mail will be rejected and you will not receive a response. Please place your cover letter in the body of the email, and the rest of your submission with all of the information requested above in one attached Word document or PDF. Please do not send multiple files containing each requested item above, and please do not send any links where files must be downloaded.
Send your proposal to:
You can expect a reply within three months of our receipt of your proposal. Please do not follow up with a phone call or email.